Restaurant Favorites to Recreate at Home
Going out to eat can be fun, but if you’re like me and feel guilty spending money when there is food at home, it is time to improvise. While it may be convenient just to pick something up, there are so many copycat recipes online to make your favorite food at home that can save you money! Plus, by cooking at home, you can control what goes into your food and make any modifications to your liking. For example, swapping out mayonnaise for plain Greek yogurt is a simple, healthy substitute. So, in the end, copycat recipes may end up being a bit healthier than the original dish—win-win!
Bang-Bang Shrimp from Bonefish Grill
Courtesy of The Cookie Rookie
1 lb. shrimp 26-30, peeled & de-veined
6 bamboo skewers, optional
1/2 cup Bang Bang Sauce (see to the right)
2 Tbsp. chopped green onions sliced at an angle
4 Tbsp. plain Greek yogurt
3 Tbsp. sweet chili sauce
1 tsp. Sriracha sauce
- If using skewers, place shrimp in a shallow baking dish and cover them with water and soak them 10 minutes prior to using.
- Pour half the sauce in a smaller bowl to use as a dipping sauce. Set aside.
- If using skewers, thread 4-5 shrimp on each and brush the remaining sauce over the shrimp.
- Heat a skillet or griddle over medium heat. Drizzle 2 tablespoons oil onto the skillet or griddle and place the shrimp in the skillet.
- Cook the shrimp 1-2 minutes per side, or until shrimp is opaque. Adjust the cooking time if using different size shrimp.
- Transfer shrimp to a serving dish and brush lightly with the reserved sauce. Garnish with extra chopped green onions.
- Serve immediately, with a dollop of dipping sauce, on the side.
Chuy’s Tex-Mex Creamy Jalapeño Dip
1 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup sour cream
1-4 oz. can chopped
1-4 oz. can chopped green chiles
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
1-1 oz. packet of dry ranch dressing mix
1/2 tsp. garlic, minced
¼ cup lime juice
- Place all ingredients into a blender or food processor and process until smooth.
- Refrigerate any leftovers.
McDonald’s Shamrock Shake
Courtesy of Delish.com
3 large scoops of vanilla ice cream
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp. peppermint extract
6 drops green food coloring
Whipped cream, for topping
Maraschino cherry, for topping
- In a blender, blend together vanilla ice cream, heavy cream, peppermint extract and the green food coloring until completely smooth. Then pour into a glass of your choice.
- Top with whipped cream and cherry before serving.
- Make it fun by adding some green St. Patty’s Day sprinkles and using a fun straw!
P.F. Chang’s Lettuce Wraps
Courtesy of the Food Network Kitchen
For the Chicken
1 large egg white
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 Tbsp. Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
1 1/2 lbs. skinless, boneless chicken breasts, diced
For the Stir-Fry Sauce
2 Tbsp. oyster sauce
1 Tbsp. hoisin sauce
1 Tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
1 Tbsp. Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
2 tsp. cornstarch
For the Noodles
2 bundles of cellophane noodles
Peanut oil, for frying
- Whisk the egg white, cornstarch and rice wine in a bowl. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Whisk 1/3 cup water, the oyster, hoisin and soy sauces, the rice wine and sesame oil in a bowl, then whisk in the cornstarch until dissolved.
- Pull the noodles apart into sections. Heat 3/4 inch of peanut oil in a medium saucepan until a deep-fry thermometer registers 380°F. Working in batches, press the noodles into the oil with a spatula until they puff, five to 10 seconds. Drain on paper towels.
- Heat 2 tablespoons peanut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring, two to three minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to a plate. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons peanut oil to the skillet; when almost smoking, stir in the garlic, ginger, jalapeño and minced scallions, then add 1/2 teaspoon salt and the sugar and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms, water chestnuts and scallion pieces and stir-fry for two minutes. Add the stir-fry sauce and chicken and cook for one minute.
- Make a bed of noodles on a platter and top with the chicken mixture. Serve the noodles and stir-fry with lettuce leaves and soy sauce for dipping.
Courtesy of PINTEREST
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup tomato ketchup
1/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. black pepper, freshly ground
Blend until creamy. It’s that simple!