- Marketed under the brand names Ozempic and Wegovy.
- FDA-approved in 2021 and indicated for chronic weight management in adults with a BMI of thirty or greater or those with a BMI of twenty-seven with at least one weight-related comorbidity, such as Type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol or hypertension.
- Semaglutide is 94% similar to a naturally occurring hormone called glucagon-like peptide (GLP-1), which stimulates the pancreas to produce additional insulin, decreasing the stomach’s emptying time and signaling to the brain a feeling of fullness and reduced cravings for specific foods.
- People who take weekly Semaglutide injections (a GLP-1 receptor agonist) have altered food preferences and consume smaller portions, resulting in lower calorie consumption.
- Targets increased abdominal fat in women due to hormonal imbalances, which cause increased insulin resistance that occurs with age, hysterectomy, PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome).
- Clinical trials have shown people lose an average of fifteen to twenty percent of their starting weight.
- For long-term success, the treatment must be combined with lifestyle changes, including nutritional, exercise and behavioral habits.
Pinup Skin Medical Spa
112 East Fowlkes Street | Franklin, TN 37064
615.295.9990 | pinupskinspa.com