Brick by Brick
Shorter Chapel A.M.E. Church with parsonage on left. This is the original location on Second Avenue and Church Street (courtesy of Thelma Battle)
Shorter Chapel A.M.E. Church Sunday School class, late 1800s to early 1900s, original location on Second Avenue and Church Street (courtesy of Thelma Battle)
Shorter Chapel A.M.E. Church on Natchez Street. This is the churches second and present-day location (courtesy of Rick Warwick)
It is unknown where this band of believers worshiped in those early days, but within four years of the church’s founding, they purchased the former sanctuary of the Franklin First United Methodist Church for $1,500. The circa-1830 building, which stood on the present-day site of The Brownstones, had been badly damaged during the war, but it was ready to be dedicated by the following spring.
The congregation flourished in this location and eventually outgrew the space. In 1924, Shorter Chapel trustees purchased the Natchez Street site and built a new church the next year, incorporating pieces of the former sanctuary. Those elements still remain a part of the architecture.